The fireboat dry-docked along the Ruston Way waterfront has a history as deep as the bay it now overlooks.
After 54 years of service to Tacoma in waterfront fire protection, harbor security patrols, search and rescue missions and water pollution control, Fireboat No. 1 is one of only five fireboats designated as National Historical landmarks. It is the only one in the United States to continuously protect a major port by itself for more than half a century.
Designed by T. McK. Rowlands of Seattle, Fireboat No. 1 was built in 1929 by the Coastline Shipbuilding Company of Tacoma for $148,000. It was one of the first vessels on the West Coast built specifically as a fireboat, rather than converted from a tugboat.