Welcome to the salmon capital of the Puget Sound and home of the Point Defiance Marina!
Celebrating over 100 years, rich with history, the boathouse/marina is the perfect getaway for fishermen and visitors alike. You can drop a line for salmon, lingcod or other bottom fish. Crabbing and squid jigging are also popular.
If fishing is not in your plans, you can:
- Rent a boat and cruise the scenic waterways
- Watch local fishermen weigh and clean their prized catch
- Have a picnic on the waterfront
- Watch the ferry make its runs to Vashon Island
- Walk the promenade to Owen Beach where you can sit on driftwood and dig your toes into the sand.
- …and if you’re lucky, you might see a bald eagle overhead or catch a glimpse of whales as they pass through the Sound.
Point Defiance Marina is unique in that it operates like a business within Metro Parks Tacoma.
This means that the Marina must pay its own way in terms of generating sufficient revenues to cover operational and maintenance expenses, capital improvement costs and any debt service incurred by the complex.
It is important to maintain and manage the Enterprise Fund in a fiscally responsible manner so that the users of the facility are not only supporting the daily operation/maintenance costs, but also the long term capital improvement to keep the facility up to today’s standards.